Life Extension Forums dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution
Announcement Attention: Important Forum Announcement

The Life Extension Foundation Forums > LEF Public Forums > Dietary Supplements > RESVERATROL  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

kjrotford
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 36

Posted 2/9/2004 4:57 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
'I have been reading posts from several newsgroups that claim resveratrol needs to be stabalized, inorder to retain biological activity. They claim that only one resveratrol product under testing shows any biological activity of significance. The company that makes these claims is Longevinex. The process they use puts resveratrol in air tight blister packs that protect the resveratrol from contact with air. They also claim to use nitrogen during the processing to protect the resveratrol from oxygenation.

My questions:

1. Does Life extension test its resveratrol product for biological activity?

2. Is resveratrol so delicate that it requires the kind of processing that Longevinex uses to preserve its biological activity?'

Mod: I've conferred with several of the product experts here who tell me the following:

Our December 2003 Life Extension magazine Supplemental issue contains the following information on page 3, "For the past two years, the Life Extension Foundation has been working with a European pharmaceutical company to produce a high-potency resveratrol extract for low-cost dietary supplements. The result of this collaboration is a standardized grape concentrate containing resveratrol in an amount suggested by scientific studies to favorably impact aging and certain medical conditions.

I asked specifically about the "bioactivity" and thus far there IS NO SPECIFIC TEST for bioactivity, any more than there is for most supplements. The suggestion is that for Resveratrol that "bio-activity" testing is "hype".One of the few agents that needs such special packaging is SAMe becuase of the volatile nature of the chemical. That's not true of Resveratrol.

MAL

kjrotford
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 36

Posted 2/19/2004 6:31 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
'Biological activity is measured by the ability of resveratrol extract to extend life expectency of yeast cells.'

gregthecanuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2004
Total Posts : 2

Posted 6/3/2004 3:17 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
'>I asked specifically about the "bioactivity" and thus far there IS
>NO SPECIFIC TEST for bioactivity, any more than there is
>for most supplements. The suggestion is that for Resveratrol that
>"bio-activity" testing is "hype".One of the few agents that needs
>such special packaging is SAMe becuase of the volatile nature
>of the chemical. That's not true of Resveratrol.
>
>MAL

Hi Mal -

Any updates for testing the "bioactivity" of your Resveratrol product?

The cynic in me thinks lack of testing avoids any issues with potency/volatility. The trusting person believes you but is left wondering...

Thanks, eh.
'

ScottL
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 10

Posted 8/24/2004 6:27 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have no commercial interest in longevinex or any other company:

From sci.life-extension :

The claim that Longevinex is the only resveratrol dietary supplement to exhibit
biological activity has been confirmed by researchers at Harvard
Medical School (Science Feb. 27, 2004), by Biomol, a Plymouth,
Pennsylvania laboratory, and checked out by www.supplementquality.com
and TIME magazine. These have been independent investigations not
funded or affiliated with the makers of Longevinex. A
company-sponsored study conducted by Plant Bioactives Research
Institute in Utah confirms the resveratrol molecule is present in a
finished dietary capsule known as Longevinex.

Rossi
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 5

Posted 12/13/2004 12:38 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok, so where does this leave the LEF product?
- Life Extension's resveratrol has been the subject of several potency assays over time and has been found to be stable. - Moderator

alfax
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 241

Posted 2/3/2005 2:53 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
what specific potency assays have been done?
-HPLC.- Moderator

For how long resveratrol pills are effective? Can they show potency over 1 year?-Life Extension guarantees potency for 1 year.-Moderator

alfax
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005

Posted 2/3/2005 6:52 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ive read that LEF will undertake a gene chip test of resveratrol. is this true? if so when will the results be known?

Does resveratrol really have the potential to extend the maximum human lifespan significantly? If a person starts taking resveratrol/quercetin pills when hes 30, how much can his lifespan be expanded?

Thank u

-In answer to your questions:  Yes.  We will publish the results when they are available.  Yes, resveratrol may have the potential to extend human LS if studies in lower animals are any indicator, but many times they are not.  It is not possible to predict what extension of human LS might be acheived by someone taking a given amount of resveratrol at a particular age.  Too many other factors come into play, and the research on resveratrol and humans isn't there (yet). - Moderator

Post Edited By Moderator (DDye) : 2/3/2005 6:11:55 PM (GMT-5)

alfax
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005

Posted 2/17/2005 11:30 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
WILL THE GENE CHIP TESTS SCIENTIFICALY PROVE IF LEFs RESVERATROL ACTIVATES A LONGEVITY GENE?

IS LEFs resveratrol PRODUCED IN AN OXIGEN FREE ENVIRONMENT?

IS IT TRUE (AS LONGEVINEX CLAIMS) THAT RESVERATROL IS DESTROYED IN CONTACT WITH OXYGEN?

IS IT TRUE (AS LONGEVINEX CLAIMS) THAT RESVERATROL CAPSULES SHOULD BE AIRTIGHT?

FOR HOW LONG DOES LEFs RESVERATROL LASTS IN THE BLOOD?

what percentage of the 20 mg of resveratrol contained in each pill actualy enters the bloodstream?

WHAT IF LEFs resveratrol pills were part of the aforementioned comparative studies made in Harvard (showing much less potency than longevinex product)? Will LEF make improvements in their pills?

thank u
 - "The supplier of Life Extension's resveratrol provided the following reply:
A competitor claims that all resveratrol products on the market but the one it sells are "unstable" and without "biological activity".  This company claims that resveratrol has to be produced in an oxygen-free environment in order to be stable; otherwise it will break down and become worthless.  The definition of "biological activity" according to this company is the ability to extend the life of yeast cells as exemplified by a commercial kit known as the "Fluor de Lys".  In this assay kit, something is considered "bioactive" if it causes lysine 382 of a p53 gene to fluoresce.  The validity of this test was recently brought into question when it was learned that the results don't hold up in vivo (Kaeberlein, et al.  JBC Papers in Press, 1/31/05). 

The usual definition of "biologically active" is something has an effect on a biological system, such as a cell, an organ or the like.  In that regard, Life Extension's I3C/resveratrol product was recently shown to have biological activity in human colorectal cancer cells where it activated a gene that causes cancer cells to die (Lee, et al.  Biochem Biophys Res Comm 328:63).  LE's resveratrol/I3C combination worked better than either I3C or DIM alone to activate this gene in human colorectal cancer cells.  We will be reporting on this study soon.

Life Extension would never steer you wrong.  Our resveratrol is the of the highest quality available.  It is made from organic French grapes and a plant known as Polygonum cuspidatum.  It is maintained in a natural matrix of complimentary polyphenols and related compounds that help it remain stable and absorbable in the body.  Quercetin, which naturally occurs alongside resveratrol, is added in a synergistic amount for stability and enhanced bioavailability.  As to the question of how long LE resveratrol "stays in the blood", we hope not long since we want to see it in tissues doing something.  In general, resveratrol doesn't stay in circulation very long; it's absorbed through mucous membranes and can be detected in the plasma of animals in as little as five minutes.  We will be able to report to you soon about which genes LE resveratrol affects.  In the meantime, know that LE resveratrol has undergone and passed an accelerated stability study where it maintained potency for up to two years.  It has been tested for potency and meets or exceeds the stated potency.   

Resveratrol in its natural matrix is reported to be very stable.  According to the USDA, peanuts stored for up to 3 years still contained resveratrol (Sanders, et al.  J Agric Food Chem 48:1243), and freeze-dried grape powder also contained resveratrol (Meng, et al.  J Agric Food Chem 52:935).  Last but not least, although light can have a negative effect on resveratrol, you don't have to worry that the resveratrol in your peanut butter will disappear if it's exposed to air: it won't (Ibern-Gomez, et al.  J Agric Food Chem 48:6352).  Despite the claims of a competitor, LE resveratrol is stable, of the highest quality, and biologically active--something you will soon be hearing more about in the near future." - Posted by the Moderator

Post Edited By Moderator (DDye) : 3/1/2005 5:02:11 PM (GMT-5)

Woody
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 21

Posted 2/18/2005 6:34 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

This makes sense to me because I read that in order to gain the benefits from resveratrol in wine, it was necessary to open a fresh bottle of red wine, each and every day- assuming you were drinking one glass per day for "medicinal" purposes.

That gets expensive but at least you gain maximum resveratrol and perhaps give the rest of the bottle to someone who merely likes to DRINK wine (in my case, a lovely female companion).

I read the info at the Longevinex site and it makes perfect sense to me.  The reason I buy from LEF is that I trust them.  For that trust to continue, I would like to see responsible, detailed responses to this subject- not short blurbs!

- As stated elsewhere, the purpose of Life Extension Forums is to provide a place where members of Life Extension and other parties can interact.  My job as moderator is to get your post approved in a timely fashion and to correct spelling errors, typos and minor grammatical errors. It is better that a moderator stay in the background as much as possible, but if a post appears to be directed to the Life Extension Foundation and not the Forum members, I will provide a brief answer if one is known by me.  Some questions require time and research and can't be answered off the top of one's head.  Life Extension has an advisor department who provides in depth information to members' questions.  You can contact them at advisory@lifeextension.com or call 1 800 226 2370.  The last submission in this thread was approved by me while awaiting answers from the product development department, who in is awaiting answers from the lab. - Moderator

Post Edited By Moderator (DDye) : 2/18/2005 5:46:37 PM (GMT-5)

alfax
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005

Posted 2/21/2005 1:33 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Some months ago (i wasn't a registered menber of LEF by that time) i sent a email to advisory@lifeextension.com about this issue and i never got an answer.

Now, as a registered member and a consumer of LEFs resveratrol pills i feel the available information about this product is very scarce. Like Woody I continue to use them because I TRUST LEF's SCIENTIFIC EXPERTISE. I HOPE MY CONFIDENCE IS JUSTIFIED.

Alvin
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 2

Posted 3/14/2005 3:38 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
1.  The stability of resveratrol seems to be one issue/concern which is really a potency concern, in that most supplements will lose their potency over time, exposure to warm temperatures, or UV light.

2.  Another concern is "bioavailability" which is how much is available for absorption by the digestive system.

3.  Yet another concern is "bioactive" which is an effectiveness concern, i.e., is the supplement doing anything to prevent disease or slow the aging process.

Here's a study that addresses 1) stability:

"Drugs under experimental and clinical research."Drugs Exp Clin Res. 1998;24(4):207-11.

Stability of resveratrol over time and in the various stages of grape transformation.

Bertelli AA, Gozzini A, Stradi R, Stella S, Bertelli A.

Institute of Human Anatomy, University of Milan, Italy.

Research has been carried out with the purpose of verifying whether the resveratrol content in the skins or pomace of grapes stored for a long period of time without any particular protection with regard to temperature and humidity, could lead to a reduction of the content of this product detected at the beginning of the processing of grapes in vinification procedures . . . The results obtained confirm that resveratrol, unlike anthocyanins and other polyphenols, is stable and stores well over time.

PMID: 10051967 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Here's a study that addresses 2) bioavailable and 3) bioactive:

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=6761

Resveratrol antioxidant found in red wine may benefit heart tissue

i13n
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 8

Posted 3/14/2005 7:42 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I sympathise with the criticisms re lack of info on resveratrol, posed by some of the members above.

I also respect the restraint posed by those members who only discussed available info.

I think LEF should accept some criticism from members, beyond simple "expressions of doubt", about a product's (ie: resveratrol's) anti-aging efficacy because LEF's own product literature is biassed towards revealing only the positive outcomes from the source articles, and not revealing the doubts (eg: procedural variability, material variability, theoretical model oversimplifications used to explain behaviour) expressed by the authors of the source articles.

Many of the positive outcomes in a source article (scientific journal, etc..) can be rendered incorrect by these doubts. That is why the authors state them. That is why one lab can apparently disprove another lab's findings.

By omitting all the doubts, LEF's products appeal to a wider and less technically savvy audience (the majority of us) and LEF sells more and puts more money back into research, which is good for us all.

To make matters more difficult for LEF, most (but not all) of the important lab reports on a product are "pay-per-article", or worse "yearly-subscription-mandatory".

To get the info first hand, members would pay $$$ only to discover those doubts as well as get some reinforcement of a product's efficacy.

The lower cost option is to criticise LEF and hopefully shame LEF into providing more info for free. I personally don't recommend this because I know from experience LEF will rarely reveal the doubts surrounding a product's anti-aging benefits.

SOME REASONABLE OPTIONS TO GET MORE PRODUCT INFO:
I personally recommend reading some of those supporting articles which are available for free (zero $$$) on the web. Try a Google search for the titles or authors. I predict you will ultimately learn that there are so many doubts in each source article that it takes a truckload of testing (a truckload of articles) from many different labs, to prove to a non-microbiologist that those anti-aging claims are valid.

In other words, we non-microbiologists will never have enough time and money to learn enough from ANY source to convince ourselves that the newly discovered supplements we take actually deliver the claimed benefits.

THE KNOWLEDGE GAP IS TOO WIDE, SO IT BOILS DOWN TO TRUST
Says it all. So who do you trust? I recommend you trust a provider who first delivers a supplement which is proven over time (statistical evidence) to provide the claimed benefits. The provder also need to have advisors with the microbiology credentials to continue to maintain that track record. I personally believe LEF fits the bill, but I occasionally read the BIOs of LEF's advisors (on the web) for a quick check-up.

I also recognise that a small minority of the supplements I purchased from LEF and consumed over the years will later be proven to be ineffective. The most important thing is that LEF get the majority right (track record). That's life at the bleeding edge (past the leading edge), and I'm over it.

.....pete (Sydney, Australia)