Life Extension Forums dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution
Announcement Attention: Important Forum Announcement

The Life Extension Foundation Forums > LEF Public Forums > Dietary Supplements > HOW TO REVERSE GREY HAIR?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
1563 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :

[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

DDye
Forum Moderator

Click to send DDye email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2002
Total Posts : 422

Posted 6/9/2009 9:45 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Many sunscreens once contained it, but most don't these days because it causes a rash in some people.  The body makes some PABA. 

Jen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableClick to Add EnlightenMeant to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 73

Posted 6/9/2009 2:48 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a hunch that regular coffee drinking contributes to graying of hair, partly because it depletes the body of the vitamins it needs for hair color. Since I stopped drinking coffee and became more focused with a healthy diet and supplements, my gray seems to be going away.

I do still drink alcohol, usually wine, but in small amounts.

StarGazer
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 193

Posted 6/12/2009 10:20 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/44610/title/Stressed-out_DNA_turns_mousy_brown_hair_gray

Lots of new discoveries this year, but when the heck are we going to see a bona fide product from all this?

august
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 179

Posted 6/17/2009 9:51 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
yes - we finally have some real science on what causes gray hair.  protect the stem cells - protect the hair - but how?  Vitamin A, hormones, theanine, etc. protect against emotional stress but they are talking about celluar stress.

xtian
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 38

Posted 6/17/2009 9:54 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
never!!!!!! since the industry of products for dying your hair is much more powerful, and the market won't gain anything from commercializing a product that really goes to the "root" of the problem. yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

JenJ
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 51

Posted 6/19/2009 10:24 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Actually people would still color their hair even if/when the cure for grey hair is found...and made public. I, for one, would still color my hair, it would just be really nice to not deal with white strands, but color, yes sir, I certainly would!

xtian
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 38

Posted 6/20/2009 9:49 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes of course you would, but the number of persons that would either is not even similar to the one of people that have to because they go white.

tarun_f
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 28

Posted 6/24/2009 10:55 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi guys,

Check out this article http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/109077/Shampoo-to-wash-the-grey-out-of-your-hair-

Gaizz
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 62

Posted 6/25/2009 12:33 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"It could be available in the shops within two years in the form of a hair cream, ­shampoo or conditioner."

jumpin jumpin jumpin jumpin

gotsomegray
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2006
Total Posts : 86

Posted 6/25/2009 6:23 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's great news.  I'm not convinced that this is the product we've all been waiting for, but I think this points to several organizations who are busting their butts to get all the $$$ that will come with a viable product to reverse graying.  If this product comes out and works, all the better.

stormboy
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 2

Posted 6/26/2009 10:19 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It would be great if this happens, but I'm skeptical. I think it's probably a way for L’Oreal to boost their stock value more than anything else so don’t get your hopes up. The various articles circulating around about this all sound pretty vague and it's unclear whether they have actually achieved what the purported product aims to do. I began getting grey hair at the tender age of 16. I'm 35 now and definitely more grey than salt and pepper. It sucks as otherwise I look young for my age, but I hate that dyed look. I’m convinced that my grey hair is genetic and has no relation whatsoever to anything I do or don’t put in my body. Part of the problem as I see it is those men and women of any age, but particularly past 40, who play into the stigma of grey hair and choose to dye it, regardless of how ridiculous it looks. This makes someone like me look like a complete anomaly, when rather, not having any grey hair by my age IS the anomaly. One day there may be a product to reverse grey hair but it won’t come from some over supplementing health freak, I’m sorry if that’s you. I have tons of grey hair and I’m very fit and healthy for my age and have an excellent diet. That's my two cents.

StarGazer
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 193

Posted 6/28/2009 6:59 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

First of all, thanks for posting the L'oreal article.  It is potentially exciting.

I'm also skeptical for a couple reasons:

1) no major news outlet picked up the story.  This would be huge, huge news.  Only sites heavy on Google advertising (adsense) picked up the story.  Once the story hits The New York Times or the BBC or LA Times or some respectable news agency, then I will believe the story is real. 

Here's the reason - a few years ago someone made up a story that L'oreal announced they have developed a pill for grey hair, and it would be out in a few months.  The pill even had a name.  It was all a hoax to get Internet traffic to certain sites and get a spike in Google Adsense revenue from those sites.  What is ironic is that I was just telling someone about this hoax yesterday. 

This could be another Internet hoax.  It would be easy to get the name of L'oreal's chief scientist and mix in some medical mumbo jumbo to make it sound legit. 

The second reason I'm skeptical is that L'oread did (this is legit) announce way back in about 2001 that they would have a shampoo out that reverses grey hair in a few years.  So  if this is the same research, they are already well behind on their 2 years goal and I would guess that even if this is legit, it will still be years down the road. 

I hope I'm wrong.  Only time will tell.  I've seen this b.s. many times before with hairloss research. 

Eureka
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 8

Posted 6/28/2009 7:02 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very interesting article about hydrogen peroxide and skin aging which relates to hair greying.
It mentions an ancient Ayurvedic mainstay medicinal food substance that is a good stimulator for increasing catalase - Amla/Emblica. We can easily take it as a supplement. I think a large dose is key - and it's GRAS.

http://www.cosmeticsbusiness.com/story.asp?storyCode=2127

Also, here's a model for what happens with "hypocatalasemia" from the doctor who developed CATSKL that has been shown to reverse grey hair.

http://www.med.wayne.edu/pharmacology/Terlecky.asp

I like to use hydrogen peroxide 3% to regularly rinse my ears. I don't know if I should continue, because maybe it's destroying something important. Although it's very helpful for keeping ears infection free with a bacterial overgrowth problem.

Post Edited (Eureka) : 6/28/2009 6:38:05 PM (GMT-4)

Bob Sakamano
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 10

Posted 7/2/2009 10:18 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The co-author of the study on h202 and senile greying seems to be a pioneer in the treatment of vitiligo and h202, as well as pioneering the use of pseudo-catalase.

http://www.vitiligo.eu.com/treatment.htm

Based on that study, perhaps she is looking into its effects on grey hair. Somewhere on her website it seems to indicate that pseudocatalase may be effective against greys. Good luck trying to get it though. It seems you'll have to go to Germany or the UK. She also states that "Vitix" and other pseudocatalase creams are ineffective in removing h202 in the skin. It looks like she test them. WIth all that, I'd look into the following to combat greying:

Se-methylselenocysteine
Dihydro lipoic acid
NAC
I'll also saw lotus flower essential oil was mentioned...perhaps Holy Basil http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122384046/abstract

Eureka
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2009

Posted 7/3/2009 2:43 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great find Bob Sakamano. I was "shocked" to see the other page where curcumin was shown to increase hydrogen peroxide in the skin! It could be that it just works that way in vitiligo sufferers...
Damn - and I just started taking it again after a break. Now I'm off it to be safe.

http://www.vitiligo.eu.com/turmeric.htm

Also, the herb Picrorhiza may help increase catalase. That makes sense because it's a great herb to take for immune and liver function. Of course glutathione and catalase are directly tied into the liver, so we should be working on improving our liver function from many angles.

Bedi KL, Zutshi U, Chopra CL, Amla V. Picrorhiza kurroa, an Ayurvedic herb, may potentiate photochemotherapy in vitiligo. J Ethnopharmacol 1989;27: pp.347-52

Hydrogen peroxide is an acid. Maybe daily testing of our urine with pH test paper and achieving more pH alkalinity is key. A couple of ways to change the body's pH from acid dominance is to take baking soda or apple cider vinegar.

The scientist on that page http://www.vitiligo.eu.com states that the Dead Sea exposure is part of their protocol. Does anyone have any idea WHY the Dead Sea would help these vitiligo patients?

Post Edited (Eureka) : 7/3/2009 2:17:05 PM (GMT-4)

Inchipinchi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 3

Posted 7/5/2009 10:45 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Maybe I'm a bit different from most of you but my hair is not grey yet but it's yellow/orange/blonde which is my natural color, a color I hate. I dye my hair but it doesnt feel good, I mean: I hate those roots coming out.

I've read that an eyedrop called latisse/lumigan darkens eyelash hair, then I start wondering: couldn't something like this also darken bigger areas?

If anyone could come up with another or better solution, let me know.  They're always talking about reversing grey but I think if you hate your natural color because it's too light and ugly, you also deserve to find a solution. I don't know if it's easier to reverse grey hair than darkening your light natural color.

tarun_f
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 28

Posted 7/6/2009 1:17 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi guys here's an article about Re: Nu Age Defy Hair Care System from Joico. Joico claims that after two to six months use, there will be a reduction of gray hair and the natural color of your hair will be restored. Some of you on this thread haven't had any luck with Joico products in the past so I don't know if this would be any different.

Link: http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/Features/20090706102504/Article/indexF_html

JenJ
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008

Posted 7/6/2009 5:09 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hi Tarun_f

I purchased the Renu serum right after it was first launched and used it daily for approx. 10 months.  I thought, in the beginning, I was seeing some color change, but definitely not enough to keep going with it. I went through 3 or 4 of the large size bottles. 

There's another poster or two who also tried this and the general consensus is that it really isn't effective.

I actually trying the Pueraria Mirifica - just started my 3rd week.  I'll post if I see any results.

Eureka
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2009

Posted 7/7/2009 10:19 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jen J,

Are you using the topical or the swallowable tablet or the sublingual tablet form of Pueraria?

StinkyJoe
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 93

Posted 7/7/2009 10:20 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bob Sakamano said...
The co-author of the study on h202 and senile greying seems to be a pioneer in the treatment of vitiligo and h202, as well as pioneering the use of pseudo-catalase.

http://www.vitiligo.eu.com/treatment.htm
The info at that link says sythetic pseudocatalase is effective against vitiligo (in as little as 14 to 20 days) but that natural catalase is ineffective because it can not be absorbed into the skin.

If you mix catalase with DMSO, that might make it penetrate skin like pseudocatalase.

JenJ
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008

Posted 7/7/2009 5:10 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello Eureka,

I'm taking the 500 mg capsule from Anteriol (spelling?)

Eureka
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2009

Posted 7/8/2009 10:18 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Stinky Joe,

I like your idea of using DMSO to overcome the skin barrier, but where do we get "natural catalase"?

modesto
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 14

Posted 7/14/2009 11:10 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you dissolve Baker's yeast in warm water you get a solution that is very rich in catalase.  You can test this by mixing with hydrogen peroxide.  DMSO crosses the skin barrier and enters the blood but does it mean it helps something to get to the hair root?  Also I am not sure about curcumin because this supplement that supposedly increases catalase "Protandim" contains curcumin.  Also Decalepis hamiltonii has been shown to increase catalase production in the body:

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2009/07/root-extract-protects-brain-from-alcohol-damage.ars

StinkyJoe
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 93

Posted 7/16/2009 11:27 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Eureka said...
Stinky Joe,

I like your idea of using DMSO to overcome the skin barrier, but where do we get "natural catalase"?
"Natural catalase" just means regular catalase (instead of a fancy sythetic product). It can be purchased for a few dollars a pound, but is sold by the ton for use in the textile industry.  Buying it in small quantities is the hard part.

"Natural catalase" is also sold in dietary supplements.

Cburg
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 5

Posted 7/16/2009 11:27 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The "Mineral Doctor" Dr Wallach, says that it is a copper deficiency. You might want to try eating clams and oysters, and maybe a chelated copper supplement.
Cburg