Life Extension Forums dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution
Announcement Attention: Important Forum Announcement

The Life Extension Foundation Forums > LEF Public Forums > Dietary Supplements > Kick a$$ cold remedy!!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

mbn_van-bc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 950

Posted 6/26/2007 10:41 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Check out this study on echinacea: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6231190.stm

Vitamin C + echinacea = 86% reduction in colds.

mbn_van-bc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006

Posted 6/27/2007 12:21 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It looks like LEF only has capsules: http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item00388.html Which is a pity because you really need quite a big dose to be effective...

This line is very well studied: http://www.naturalfactors.com/search.asp?mode=cat&cat=3  Probably best in the world... (And for me a local source!)

Does anyone know of another source?

DDye
Forum Moderator

Click to send DDye email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2002
Total Posts : 422

Posted 6/27/2007 12:23 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Have used Gaia's echinacea liquid. You can take it by the dropperful although it never helped my colds or flu. Did read somewhere that there is a percentage of individuals for whom it doesn't work. Maybe it's something genetic.

zorba990
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 710

Posted 6/28/2007 9:57 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've always had good results with Herb Pharm's Super Echinacea.
But since upping my C to 3-5 grams a day (depending on workout schedule)
I don't seem to need echnicacea anymore.

mbn_van-bc
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006

Posted 6/29/2007 10:29 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I started to come down with a cold last week just after the news article on echinacea came out and a co-worker gave me a bottle of Natural Factors Clinical Stength Echinamide to try in addition to my already high dose of vitamin C. The symptoms disappeared pronto. The last cold I had was a doozy and did not respond at all to vitamin C alone.

Normally I don't really believe the products that say 'take at the first sign of a cold' - who's to say whether or not those first signs would have gone away on their own or not?? I feel much better in using these sorts of products knowing that the effects have been confirmed by statistics like this.

The product I mentioned uses organic, specially-bred, 'super' echinacea plants grown in the Okanagan region of BC, Canada not far from where I live which gives a warm and fuzzy feeling not having to worry about ingredient source issues... The university here (UBC) has also been studying these plants, so it looks like BC is the place for this stuff.

A good link to buy if you're interested: http://www.canadianvitaminshop.com  They do international orders. I was like a kid in a candy shop the first time I went to the store... so many products... and the best prices I have ever seen! The store is a bit far away for me though.