Life Extension Forums dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution
Announcement Attention: Important Forum Announcement

The Life Extension Foundation Forums > LEF Public Forums > Dietary Supplements > Top Ten Supplements for Health  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bixa525
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 62

Posted 5/6/2010 9:38 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Which supplements would you include in your top 10?

mbn_van-bc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 950

Posted 5/6/2010 2:44 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In descending order of importance (subject to change):

1. Vitamn C. Taken away from foods (esp. iron & PUFA).
 2. Cod liver oil.
 3. A decent multivitamin/mineral complex to provide B vits and trace minerals.
 4. Vitamin D.
 5. Vitamin E.
 6. Minerals (potassium, calcium, magnesium, zinc, iodine, selenium).
 7. Chondroitin or gelatin.
 8. Vitamin K2.
 9. Fruit/berry concentrates/extracts.
10. Carotenoids (lutein, lycopene, beta-carotene).

And that is pretty much all anyone needs IMHO. Add what you will for specific conditions.

SpainEurope
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2008
Total Posts : 709

Posted 5/6/2010 5:03 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cod liver oil??¿?

Best is an EPA DHA concentrate. Cod liver oil has levels almost toxic of vitamin A and low level of beneficial omega EPA and DHA. So, purified and concentrated fish oil.

mbn_van-bc
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006

Posted 5/6/2010 6:55 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I do mean cod liver oil for vitamin A & D - not just for omega-3.

Try reading here: http://www.westonaprice.org/Cod-Liver-Oil-The-Number-One-Superfood.html

Post Edited (mbn_van-bc) : 5/6/2010 7:01:14 PM (GMT-4)

SpainEurope
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2008

Posted 5/7/2010 9:40 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I like Weston Price Foundation since I am advocate of paleo diets, but I think Weston Price Foundation has outdated nutritional topics. Cod liver oil is the most typical absurd topic is WPFoundation.

For example, Weston Price Foundation is supporter of vitamin A in moderate to high dose, but current science has shown that this vitamin is easily toxic.

Many paleo people like me think the same, WPFoundation website should revise sometimes its old articles and official topics.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2010/jan2010_Startling-Findings-about-Vitamin-D-Levels-in-Life-Extension-Members_02.htm

I feel many, if not most, readers of WPF website take the best option: distilled fish oil and not poor cod liver oil.

When I hear cod liver oil is a must have in supplements is like back to 1980 :S

SpainEurope
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2008

Posted 5/7/2010 9:41 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And if you say cod liver oil for vitamin D I don't understand why you mentioned again vitamin D in your list. I would always take vitamin D3 apart from a good purified fish oil, but no toxic vitamin A.

mbn_van-bc
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006

Posted 5/7/2010 2:37 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Actually... I really just use the CLO as a source of vitamin A. (I had edited the post above after writing A alone, thought might as well indicate D).

The one I use contains 2,500 IU A and 200 IU D (I take 2 or 3 per day), so I increase the amount of D I use. (I live north of 49th parallel.)

How many vitamins in your purified fish oil???

Good to have the fat soluble vitamins in balance and high quantity. K2 would be higher up on the list if it were a bit cheaper here.

Whenever recommending to people what to take, I use the above list. If you are to supplement just 1 thing - it's vitamin C, 2 things - C and CLO, 3 things - add a multi, etc.

What's your list Senior Spain???

mbn_van-bc
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006

Posted 5/9/2010 5:27 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
@SpainEurope - - - Aren't you the guy who gave yourself hypervitaminosis D and hypercalcemia???

You might want to go back and re-read all that WAPF stuff on balance between the fat soluble vitamins. Especially Chris Masterjohn's work.

albedo
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 1049

Posted 5/9/2010 5:27 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
mbn, good to see you posting again ...

brundall
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2010
Total Posts : 2

Posted 5/9/2010 5:31 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Here is my current top 10:

1. Vitamin D3

2. EPA/DHA fish oil

3. Good multivitamin

4. Magnesium

5. Vitamin K (MK4, MK7)

6. Carnosine

7. Green tea extract

8. ALCAR/R Lipoic acid

9. Creatine (low dose)

10. Resveratrol/wine extract

SpainEurope
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2008

Posted 5/10/2010 9:06 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I had not hypercalcemia, it was a false intuition. I only reached 110 ng/ml of vitamin D, a nontoxic and safe level.

I already know Chris Masterjon articles. I am advocate of paleo diets as Weston Price did.

mbn_van-bc
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006

Posted 5/10/2010 12:09 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
@ Spain - - So why get your knickers in a twist about CLO?? If you are primal, you may not need it as you likely eat enough beef or chicken liver or whatever.

At any rate. The thread is about top 10 supplements. Let's have yours!

Here's the rationale for my top 10:

I see 3 areas that every human needs to take care of for optimal health:

1. Optimize vitamin intake by supplementing C, CLO, various Bs, D3, E, and K2. This is about Vitamin Theory - why do vitamins exist?? Because it is evolutionarily advantageous to lose the burden of having to produce them yourself. Read: How to Live Longer and Feel Better by Linus Pauling. There is a small section at the beginning about what I now call Vitamin Theory. It could blow your mind if you understand the implications for the future of humanity. The rate of human evolution is increasing - nutrition drives evolution, civilization accelerates it (for more on this, read: Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human (ie. nutrition drives evolution) and The 10,000 Year Explosion (ie civilization accelerates it). We have mastered the energy and protein problem (and gone a little too far in this direction!!) - now for vitamins so we can get over our ailments and explore the stars.
If your diet is lacking, supplement minerals to make it up.

2. Protect your connective tissue. Or you will die of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc. like everyone else. I want to die of something a bit more interesting, thank you very much - not something easily preventable!

3. Eat and supplement for alkalinity. You can eat what you like if you offset your diet with potassium bicarbonate, calcium and magnesium carbonates, and the odd vegetable here and there. Read Lynda Frassetto et al on the topic.

This is the 3-legged stool of optimal and efficient nutrition.

DDye
Forum Moderator

Click to send DDye email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2002
Total Posts : 422

Posted 5/10/2010 12:12 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Another good book is Nutrition Against Disease, by Roger Williams.

Tom.
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1245

Posted 5/10/2010 2:33 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This question has come up many times. It's hard because there are many. Mine changes based on research. I think the basics should be covered first, protect and repair collagen structures and bones, protect and strengthen at a cellular level and think a bit beyond because there allot of undiscovered micronutrients.

Covering the Basics
Basic multivitamin and mineral without iron
Bee pollen - fills gaps in multi with undiscovered nutrients & basics too. Strong antioxidant. it's cheap and safe.
Seaweed and algae complex - western diet lacks these! also has cit D, RNA/DNA, minerals, and more
B & C complex - too many benefits to list.

Collagen Structures & Skeletal
Collagen protein - Joints, inflammation, vascular, major organs, skin, hair, nails, teeth & gums .. etc ..
Glucosamine - joints
Calcium - skeletal

Cellular Health
Carnosine - cross linking & AGEs
Carnitine - energy
Centrophenoxine - still researching this but looks very promising .. help remove lipofuscin & cognitive health etc..

bixa525
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 62

Posted 5/16/2010 9:28 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks guys, do any of you feel ubiquinol is good for heart health? Also any good ones for cancer prevention other than green tea which I already take?

mbn_van-bc
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006

Posted 5/17/2010 10:34 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I see some supplements more like drugs - if you need them, take them.

Ubiquinol (CoQ10) doesn't make my top ten list because I make enough CoQ10.

If you're on a statin or something or taking Q10 makes you feel better then by all means take it. But make sure it's valuable to you.

Post Edited (mbn_van-bc) : 5/17/2010 11:01:58 AM (GMT-4)

mbn_van-bc
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006

Posted 5/17/2010 10:34 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The top ten IS for cancer prevention!

Stay healthy.

Tom.
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1245

Posted 5/17/2010 1:37 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cancer prevention is largely due to your lifestyle and dietary habits which would also determine which supplements you'd need to take or not to take. Look up 3,5-diprenyl-4-hydroxycinnamic acid or artepillin C.

albedo
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 1049

Posted 9/6/2010 10:27 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Any take on chlorophyllin also for cancer prevention? LEF makes a case on it in particular HERE. I am also taking it from LEF.

Post Edited (albedo) : 9/16/2010 4:22:36 PM (GMT-4)

Zorrin
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2010
Total Posts : 6

Posted 9/13/2010 12:22 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I'm a big fan of grapeseed extract.

I don't like red wine, unfortunately. The oligomeric polyphenols in GSE are 20 times stronger than vitimin C, and 50x vitimin E.

It's dirt cheap to buy (it's a byproduct of the wine industry), has quite a nice taste (although I put it in gelcaps), and it's equally happy in water or lipids (fat), so it works throughout every tissue in the body.

It's responsible for what cardiologists call "the French Paradox". The french eat loads of fat, smoke gitanes, but have a low incidence of heart disease and cancer. It's because they really knock back the vino rouge.

We need cholesterol, because all of our hormones are made from it, yet we think of it as the bad guy. I'm a chemist, and I remember working somewhere with lots of old bottles of chemicals from the 50s, and finding a bottle of cholesterol on a shelf. To my surprise, it was a white powder. I was expecting some kind of sticky yellow butter.

It's only when cholesterol is oxidized that it becomes sticky and furs up our arteries. A big dose of grapeseed extract everyday prevents cholesterol from sticking together. It also spares all our other antioxidants, like A, C, E, glutathione, and even regenerates them, because it's a more powerful reducing agent.

I do quite a bit of weight training. I can't do without whey protein shakes.

When I started 20 years ago, protein shakes were casein, or egg-based. They were disgusting.

When you curdle milk, you get something that looks a lot like (and is) cottage cheese, and a liquid. They used to throw this liquid down the drain, but were told "new environmental rules - you can't put that down the drain anymore, sunshine". Someone analysed it, and found the best protein in the world. It's got all the amino acids, has a biological value higher than egg protein (egg's BV is 1.0 - scientists thought it would always be the highest BV).

If you've been partying and a bit naughty like Zorrin is sometimes, it has plenty of tryptophan and Tyrosine to remake that serotonin and dopamine.

Mrs Zorrin swears by DHEA. I found that when I supplemented with DHEA, I never ever got a cold or flu, but felt that it was aromatizing to estrogen a little bit.