Life Extension Forums dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution
Announcement Attention: Important Forum Announcement

The Life Extension Foundation Forums > LEF Public Forums > Hormones > PREGNENOLONE ..need answers ASAP  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ot03
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 63

Posted 5/2/2005 2:35 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
With no assistance from any family I started from scratch at 19 and for the last few years I have endlessly sought answers ...... unless my stomach is full my brain shuts down and I can stutter and slur words...i do NOT have low blood sugar or hypothyroid.... turns out my pregnenolone is at 23 which is the level of about a 100+ year old male and my growth hormone is at 150 which may explain the apparent 'wasting' of body mass and the increased frail look in the cheekbone and jawline areas and others. I need information on specific nitty gritty stuff showing that the preg. levels being low can cause cognitive impairment and neurological shutdown and whatever else ... I have lost my scholarship to college and MANY other consequences as a result. My next step was to test my neurotransmitters but no one can give me a company that tests for acetylcholine!!!! My MD said there was nothing wrong with my preg. or growth hormone levels nono I would like to know if I may have a case against other doctors who failed to notice this and order regular blood testing. And where can I get my leptin tested? Thanks.

ot03
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 6/20/2005 3:56 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I posted this article a while ago ... To any member (and the one from Europe that mailed me about sending me the full papers on pregnenolone) PLEASE help me in my quest to obtain sufficient papers showing the pregnenolone deficiency can cause bad side effects. I need them immediately and will pay for shipping and your time. The lack of info on pregnenolone in general is sad.

Blarg
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 32

Posted 6/23/2005 11:57 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mixing legal and medical questions might make some medical professionals reluctant to answer.

Chrisgj
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 4

Posted 6/27/2005 4:02 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sorry for responding late, this is my first posting.

First of all pregnenolone is the mother hormone of cortisol and DHEA.  DHEA breaks down into sex hormones.  These are the hormones you really need to be concerned about.  Treating with pregnenolone, if you have low cortisol, you would need to take gobs of the preg to lift your cortisol level and that would be very expensive. (I used to buy 50 mg capsules 60 count for $9.99.  I used to take 150 mg before I found a doc to help me.)

This is the most important thing I can tell you:  "The ranges for most hormone tests are flawed.  Some more than others".    Here's an example.  Most am cortisol blood tests the range will be something like 4 - 22.  I like to see above 20 for women and mid to upper 20's for men (some can go into the 30's).   Almost all with adrenal insufficiency (what having low cortisol is called, will fall within that flawed range.  Almost all endocrinologists go strictly by if you are in range or not.  This kind of range flaw is also in thyroid tests.  A lot of people with adrenal insufficiency and or low thyroid are told to see a shrink because they fall within the "normal" range.

Sounds like you have quite a start on learning about hormones, but I suggest you precede like you may have hypopituitarism.  The growth hormone tests (including Igf-1) are flawed as is the pregnenolone range (preg is rarely tested).

I highly recommend you seek out an osteopath.   They have better track records than endos with hormone treatment.  As a group, osteopaths know that the ranges are flawed and pay more attention to symptoms.

I haven't read the rules of this board yet, so I'm afraid to post any links or my email address.  I'll read those rules now.

Chris

ot03
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 7/8/2005 1:03 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hypopituitarism ...That's actually a new one to me. . . Someone sent me a product called Pituitary Liquiescence which contains  pituitary, pineal and thamamus (or hypo ... i don't remember) liquid tissue along with about 15 other items including lymphatic drainage liquid and yeast infection homeopathic liquid.  I am going to read up on your new word for sure.  I am currently undergoing CES with a bob beck bt7 unit and am about pick up something by the name of an Earthpulse (magnetic pulsation?) unit along with a quality water ozonator.   My growth hormone being only 40 points low has some people thinking 'no big deal' but if you could see how my appearance has diminished and i've become more frail it seems to me it would make a ton of sense--I'm just going to pick up a spray forumula from a reputable group and return it if it doesn't work.

I'm getting more into electrobiology now that i'm finally waking up to the fact that I don't have time to put up with this **** :) ... and it's becoming apparent that people like Dr. Lakhovsky contributed some rather 'useful' information which fortunately is still being put into practice by a handful of open minded non-sell outs scattered across the States.   (I'm not a doctor so I can discuss these things as a student/researcher.)

WCASEY
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 12

Posted 9/9/2005 1:48 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

YOUR MD IS A USELESS IDIOT AND WILL TELL YOU YOU ARE FINE.

SEND ME YOUR EMAIL AND I WILL SEND YOU RATIONAL INFORMATION.

WCP@EARTHLING.NET

PUT ALL VALUES TO NORMAL PER LEF.   

TRY RUNNING YOUR CAR WITHOUT OIL.

CASEY

Ms.
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 42

Posted 9/18/2005 12:19 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's some info right out of LEF's "Enhancing Cognitive Function" protocol:

"Pregnenolone was discovered during the 1930s and was extensively studied at first, particularly in connection with job performance and as a therapy for arthritis. Then it faded into oblivion as other hormones, notably synthetic forms of cortisone, became more trendy, not to mention lucrative for the drug industry. Now we are witnessing a revival of interest in pregnenolone-after 60 years, it's gaining popularity alongside DHEA. Pregnenolone functions largely as a pro-hormone. Produced primarily in the adrenals, it is also the primary precursor of all the steroid hormones, the first hormone to be formed from cholesterol, the raw material for all steroids. The levels of pregnenolone go down with aging. By the time we are 75, we have only 40% of the pregnenolone we had when we were 35. Besides aging, stress, disease, hypothyroidism, exposure to toxins and depression all result in low pregnenolone levels. Patients suffering from depression have been found to have pregnenolone levels less than half those found in nondepressed persons. These decreased levels of pregnenolone have been found in both unipolar and bipolar depression (the manic-depressive disorder). In job-performance studies, subjects reported better mood when taking pregnenolone. Like estrogen and DHEA, pregnenolone seems to have a pleasantly stimulatory effect on the brain, making one feel sharp without that wired, jittery feeling that may come from too much caffeine, for instance.
While many people know that DHEA and its sulfate, DHEA-S, are very abundant in the brain, few know that the brain levels of pregnenolone and pregnenolone sulfate are 10 times as high as those of DHEA. Pregnenolone could be called our primary neurosteroid. It is produced not only in the adrenals, but also in the brain-a finding first reported by the famous French steroid researcher, Dr. Etienne-Emile Baulieu. The peripheral nervous system can also manufacture pregnenolone, possibly for the purpose of maintaining the myelin sheath. Pregnenolone is somewhat like ginseng. It improves energy, endurance and ability to cope with stress. Studies using factory workers, college students and airline pilots all found that pregnenolone effectively counteracts fatigue. When you are under stress, pregnenolone gives you an extra edge. When you are relaxed, however, you tend not to feel much difference. This may be particularly true of younger people. The elderly, who are more seriously deficient, seem to appreciate pregnenolone's extra energy boost more keenly. In the 1940s, it was established that pregnenolone facilitates learning and helps us perform any task in which memory is involved. But pregnenolone's chief claim to fame is the fact that this pre-hormone has been found to be the most effective memory booster yet discovered in animal studies. It has been shown to increase the release of acetylcholine and to modulate NMDA (aspartate/glutamate) receptors in a way that suggests that pregnenolone stimulates central cholinergic communication. It also seems to modulate enzyme activity, calcium-ion flow through cell membranes, protein turnover and other complex reactions involved in memory function. Together with DHEA, pregnenolone also synchronizes the firing of the neurons. A decline in pregnenolone thus makes all mental function more difficult. There is some anecdotal evidence suggesting that pregnenolone may be especially effective in elderly women as a restorer of energy and mental clarity, and as an antidepressant. Even a small amount of supplemental pregnenolone may affect the quality of sleep. Most studies find that pregnenolone, like DHEA, increases the amount of REM sleep, which appears to be play a role in the formation of memory. Like progesterone, pregnenolone is also important for repairing the brain and the spinal cord in case of injury. Pregnenolone is a precursor to progesterone in the body."

There's a lot more info about how pregnenolone functions in the brain if you do some internet searching. I hope this helps!
Cindy

dedeo
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 9

Posted 10/1/2005 9:22 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
read your posting and I don't have any answers for you just wanted to let you know i'm sorry you have to go through all that crap ... i can relate ... it's so hard to find a good doctor ...(i'm still looking for one myself) someone who listens and acts like they care about what your saying, instead of them brushing you off ... and they don't seem to want to run the tests and take the time to find out what's wrong with you unless its something obvious and easy for them to check ... been there! i know it's very frustrating ... will say a quick prayer for you tonight, to find a doc who cares ... i'm serious ...

seagull style
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 18

Posted 1/2/2006 3:30 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
TRY INTERNATIONAL ANTIAGING SYSTEMS AND JAMES SOUTH SITES FOR MORE INFO.

ot03
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 6/20/2009 9:52 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
as an update to this .. I recently began taking amminohydroxybutyric acid ("gabob"and it has another name )...regularly ..no remission.. but when i started taking it before bedtime , when I awoke next morning the symptoms were largely improved. Anyone with a gaba or growth hormone, possibly any hormone deficiency may look into Gabob available for purchase only outside the us. Also I've been having results with Kenogen Progest-E ...natural progestone and vitamin E... promoted by ray peat md (ray peat dot com minus spaces) i dont the lef carries it right now. it's on the gumline not on the skin i use it when i get real bad. hope this helps.

I'm also looking into combining pramiracetam and pyritinol which are the 'new & improved' versions of piracetam and hydergiene. Any thoughts?