Life Extension Forums dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution
Announcement Attention: Important Forum Announcement

The Life Extension Foundation Forums > LEF Public Forums > Hormones > DHEA and Hair Loss  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

MomLady
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 6

Posted 2/13/2006 12:10 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am a 47 year old female, been taking 25mg DHEA daily for the past year. I believe I am noticing some hair loss and thinning. Anyone else experience this? I have always had wonderfully thick, healthy hair, so this really scares me. Should I stop the DHEA completely and see if hair improves? Or should I cut back intake, perhaps take one pill every other day?

turn-brain-on
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 66

Posted 2/13/2006 1:38 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

A simple google search will show you that DHEA has been reported to cause hair loss among other things. (This is more common in men but does happen to women too.) It seems your adrenal glands are converting the DHEA into DHT. I think your body is telling you that you don't need that much DHEA. If it did need that does of DHEA it would not be converting it into another adrenal hormone.

One thing you might also consider though is a zinc supplement. Low zinc levels will happen from supplementing adrenal hormones. The adrenals need zinc. A zinc deficiency is also known to cause hair loss. So you may not need the DHEA or you may need to supplement enough zinc.

MomLady
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 2/13/2006 3:27 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do you think pregnenolone would be a better choice?  My goal is to keep my hormone levels balanced and sufficient to avoid menopausal symptoms.

turn-brain-on
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 2/13/2006 7:17 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Well, preg is usually the choice for women and DHEA is the choice usually for men. The reason for that is that preg will more easily be converted into progesterone, I believe, whereas DHEA is more easily converted into testosterone. There is a chart that shows all the adrenal hormones and how they relate to one another, that is, how they convert into other steroid hormones. I forget exactly now, but I believe that DHEA is fewer steps to testosterone than other hormones that women usually need.

So, yes, preg might work better. I think that if DHEA is better for men than that might mean it can be more easily converted into DHT. But that is speculation only.

Preg might be worth a try.  I'm not sure why you don't use progesterone cream? I know that John Lee, MD, the man behind the progesterone push for hormone replacement years ago said that women needing estrogen should try progesterone for several months before considering any type of estrogen replacement. So progesterone cream basically covers both progesterone and estrogen needs. (Again, the idea is that the progesterone can easily convert (mabye one or two steps away from estrogen] into estrogen if your body needs more estrogen.) The only problem with using progesterone cream is that the dose may not be that precise because it comes in topical form. It can be easy to use to much I think. But that may not be an issue right away. Sometimes your hormones are out of balance 

John Lee's books are very helpful. Usually any women supplementing hormones, sex hormones, should really research this so they know what hormones cause what problems.  It is important to listen to your body so you don't have to have your hormone levels checked every week or so.  Lee's books explain this info very well. But most likely progesterone would be a better choice I think. And understanding the symptoms of too much estrogen vs. too much progesterone is how you would know that you should reduce the progesterone cream dose, if that should happen.

MomLady
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 2/14/2006 7:28 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I started with DHEA because blood tests showed DHEA well below optimal levals. All other hormone levels were in balance. However, a recent saliva test showed DHEA and testosterone levels very elevated, although I have no "symptoms" except for the thinning hair.

turn-brain-on
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 2/15/2006 3:42 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am not a doctor but my common sense would say to discontinue the DHEA since your levels are now elevated. With all hormones, it is important to cycle them. But the point of cycling is to prevent your glands from shutting down because they stop producing some hormones. That is not your problem though. So, try a break and see how that goes. You might end up not needing it or just taking a temporary break for now. Listen to your body and or get tested again in, say, a couple of months.

sueminter
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 4

Posted 4/20/2006 7:56 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have noticed hair loss with the hormone but don't know if it is it or my own androgens acting over the years. i'm 63.

Bohemiagirl
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 2

Posted 8/2/2006 10:57 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am a 53 year old woman taking 25 mg of DHEA daily and also experiencing hair loss. I have a question, if I stop taking the DHEA... what's the probability that my hair will return? I can absolutely tie it into the time frame that I began the DHEA.

Thanks so much for any info you can offer .

Rosina
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2006

Posted 9/7/2006 4:45 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am also 53 and have been on DHEA for three months (5 mg daily). All of a sudden, my hair is falling out in huge quantity. It appears it has entered this phase "en masse" as before this, I had virtually no hair loss. Can a measly 5 mg make this much difference?

Cini
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 369

Posted 9/7/2006 9:11 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello,
Have you considered taking 7 Keto DHEA? It will not convert into androgens or estrogens like regular DHEA.

Rosina
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2006

Posted 9/8/2006 4:00 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I thought the purpose of DHEA was to convert to the hormones that the body lacks... I'm not taking it for weight management.

moe
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 7/30/2007 11:07 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, I'm new here.  I have had massive amount of hair loss in the past couple of years and I am sure it's due to elevated testosterone levels, mainly DHEA.  My doctor says it's only slightly elevated but I have researched it extensively and know that if it's being converted to DHT it's still going to cause hair loss.  I also have acne, oily skin and an above average sex drive.  As a woman I would abstain from DHEA, or start at a very low dose until you know how it will affect you.  I think blood tests only give us half of the information we need.  It seems we must become our own doctor.  I hope everything goes back to normal for all of you.  I feel your pain. 

Lena
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2008

Posted 11/4/2008 11:02 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am only 37 and have been taking 5 mg/day DHEA on and off for about a year. The reason I started taking it is because my girlfriend, a 52 yo body builder, takes it regularly and it helps her build muscle, increases matabolism, etc.  She looks at least 10 years younger. I know I am younger than her and probably have sufficient levels of DHEA without supplementing but when I take it I feel stronger, leaner, feel like my metabolism increases and I just feel better overall. I work out a lot so it helps.
For the past several months I've been noticing more than usual hair loss. Glad I came across this website and saw your comments about the same thing.  I will stop taking DHEA as having healthy full hair is very important to me.  I don't have any other side effects pertaining to DHEA.

Bravo 6
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 859

Posted 11/6/2008 11:24 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great thread, guess it doesn't affect men as much, my late grandfather semed to get spots of brown in his grey hair which he attributed to DHEA, he took lots of kelp too, so who knows.