Life Extension Forums dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution
Announcement Attention: Important Forum Announcement

The Life Extension Foundation Forums > LEF Public Forums > Dietary Xenobiotics > N-Acetylcysteine and Hydergine/Piracetam/Centrophenoxine(Lucidril) scheduling/conflicts  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Blarg
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 32

Posted 6/19/2005 6:23 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I note that LEF recommends that N-acetylcysteine be taken on an empty stomach. Am I correct in understanding that this is so it is properly absorbed without competing with other proteins -- either disrupting their absorption or negating some absorption of the NAC -- nor being affected by the insulin release that comes after a meal?

I ask this because I am wondering if the recommendation to take NAC on an empty stomach means there will be problems absorbing it if taken on an otherwise empty stomach but at or around the same time as hydergine, piracetam, or centrophenoxine (Lucidril) are taken. Additionally, I wonder if these latter three would be in any way rendered less effective when taken with NAC or close to the time of NAC ingestion. In other words, if the stomach is empty of sugars and protein since it's been a long time since there has been a meal, is that good enough?

Unfortunately, there are only so many three hour periods between meals in a day, and I already use one of them up by taking acetyl L-carnitine arginate upon rising in the morning, which basically blocks out the ability to take NAC until very late morning (well after breakfast) at the earliest. A regular program of piracetam, centrophenoxine, and hydergine supplementation also requires multiple dosings per day, and I'd like to be sure I am taking these nutraceuticals in the wisest way possible, without losing any of their value.. A mid-day dose of NAC seems hard to work in without overlapping the usage of hydergine, piracetam, or centrophenoxine's typical few times a day dosage regimes.

So would NAC intake close to the time of ingestion of hydergine, piracetam, or centrophenoxine be counter-indicated if the stomach is otherwise empty, that is, three hours after a meal?
- The only reason to my knowledge to take NAC separately from food is that cysteine can block insulin to an extent, and therefore blood sugar might increase more than is optimal.  Hypoglycemics take cysteine after a meal for this reason.  However, one egg contains 250 mg cysteine, so a 3 egg omelet contains 750 milligrams which provides more cysteine than most supplements, and people don't report dangerous blood sugar levels from eating a few eggs. - moderator

Post Edited By Moderator (DDye) : 6/19/2005 5:28:21 PM (GMT-4)

Blarg
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2005

Posted 6/19/2005 6:44 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Okay, thank you. That doesn't sound like a problem I need to worry about then, since I'm not hypoglycemic or diabetic and hydergine, piracetam, and centrophenoxine don't create problems with sugar or insulin in normal metabolisms, from what I've read. And because mid-day I'll be taking them all on an empty stomach anyway.

zorba990
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 710

Posted 6/27/2005 4:14 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Blarg said...
Okay, thank you. That doesn't sound like a problem I need to worry about then, since I'm not hypoglycemic or diabetic and hydergine, piracetam, and centrophenoxine don't create problems with sugar or insulin in normal metabolisms, from what I've read. And because mid-day I'll be taking them all on an empty stomach anyway.
I take a product called NAC Sustain which is a timed release NAC.

vasilis
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2002
Total Posts : 3

Posted 7/4/2005 9:12 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello Blarg,
Very interesting posting, I take all that you mentioned except for Lucidril and I had similar questions.

Where do you get your Lucidril (Centrophenoxin) from? I would be interested in a source in the US or England or Greece or France or anywhere in Europe.

Thanks,
vasilis

Blarg
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2005

Posted 7/5/2005 11:51 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you can get Hydergine, I'm surprised you're wondering where to get centrophenoxine!

You can order a generic version of the latter from inhome-health.com.

Gifted
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 2

Posted 7/20/2005 2:49 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Should all 'smart drugs' be taken on an empty stomach?  I am currently taking Piracetam, Lucidril, deprenyl, and vinpocetine; anyone else out there taking these together?  I want to add hydergine but am not sure if it would be overkill.

Appreciate your help.