Life Extension Forums dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution
Announcement Attention: Important Forum Announcement

The Life Extension Foundation Forums > LEF Public Forums > Topicals > Antioxidant Eyedrops  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Tham
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 128

Posted 2/16/2001 11:55 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tom,

The eyedrop Catalin (pirenoxine) made by Takeda of Japan, is marketed for the prevention and slowing down of cataracts.

Its been around for 50 years. I didnt even realize it was available here !

A quick check on Medline indicates that pirenoxine apparently has antioxidant properties. It may thus not only be useful against cataract prevention, but other eye diseases like macular degeneration and glaucoma as well.

An alternative might be Vitreolent made by Ciba (Novartis). This is a potassium/sodium iodide formula.

A quick check on the net shows that potassium iodide is also an antioxidant and radiation protector, as the tablets are standard issue for prevention of thyroid cancer in nuclear fallouts.

Im currently using Vitreolent eyedrops as a prophylatic and Ive given Catalin to my father.

Chris Allen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Chris Allen's website.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 112

Posted 2/27/2001 9:16 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
>A quick check on the net shows that potassium iodide is
>also an antioxidant and radiation protector, as the tablets are
>standard issue for prevention of thyroid cancer in nuclear fallouts.

Unless a new property of potassium iodide has been discovered, it would be mileading to call it a radiation protector. The action of potassium iodide injested by a person who is located in the geographical vicinity of freshly-released fission products is to saturate the thyroid gland with non-radioactive iodine for the purpose of reducing the uptake by the thyroid of radioactive iodine.

If potassium iodide was a general radiation protector, then one might reasonably conclude that regular injestion for prophylactic purposes might be warranted. But since it isnt a radiation protector, it shouldnt be consumed for regular prophylactic purposes.

And since exposure to low-level radiation has been consistently shown to impart health benefits, protecting yourself from it might reasonably be considered a silly activity.

::Your explanation is correct and I generally agree with you. However, if potassium iodide is an antioxidant (as appears from some PubMed abstracts), then it is also a radiation protector as well since a major harmful effect of radiation is the production of free radical ions. In addition, while there are theories, I dont think that anyone fully knows why low level radiation is healthful nor what is the exact boundary between healthy and unhealthy radiation levels or type of radiation.::

-Chris

Tham
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001

Posted 3/4/2001 12:06 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the info, Chris and Tom.

This might be of interest : http://www.montefeltro.net/pennabilli/venturi.htm

The amount of potassium iodide in Vitreolent eyedrops is quite minimal - only 0.3 mg per ml, so I guess it should be quite safe. Vitreolent eyedrops are indicated for the management of cataracts as stated in their product brochure.

Anyway, Ill probably be changing over to Catalin later, as Vitreolent tends to sting and dry the eye a bit.

::I am not surprised by the stinging since both potassium and iodine are strongly combining ions (think of iodine antiseptic put on a wound).::

Tham
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2001

Posted 3/14/2001 12:56 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tom,

The solvent vehicle for Catalin (pirenoxine, also called pirfenoxone) eyedrops contains the following buffers and preservatives per ml of fluid:

Boric Acid - 12 mg
Potassium Chloride - 1.6 mg

Methylparaben - 0.02 %
Propylparaben - 0.01 %
Thimerosal - 0.0001 %

I wonder if it might be safe to use it chronically for prophylactic purposes ?

::I dont think that it is necessary if you eat a superior diet with supplements, but I also dont see a problem with doing that.::

Thank you again.

kmicic1
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2001
Total Posts : 1

Posted 5/8/2001 8:45 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Where can I purchase Catalin (Pirenoxine) or other similar potassium iodide topicals from US pharmacies? Catalin seems to be most popular in Europe & perhaps is sold and marketed under a different brand name in the States. I need to purchase a few dropper bottles for a beloved aunt in Poland who has developed cataracts. Unfortunately, Catalin seems to be unavailable there to senior citizens due to budget cutbacks at the Ministry of Public Health.

::Another name for it is pirfenoxone. I have no idea where to buy it, however, any good pharmacy will have a US Pharmacopia Index which will tell you whether it is available in the US and from where.::

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

pisak
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 13

Posted 10/29/2004 6:22 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why use such a thing if it contains thimerosal? Thimerosal contains Hg (mercury), ethymercury, which is nuerotoxic, it's been linked with neurodegenerative diseases, autism, especially in children when their immune system and other organs have not fully developed yet. No wonder we have so many autistic children in America today, this must be the only country, which administers around 36 vaccines with boosters by the age of 6!! Vaccines usually contain thimerosal as preservative. It can cause severe brain damage. Similarly with silver amalgams or mercury fillings in teeth (containing about 52% of mercury by weight), they should be completely banned, but thanks to ADA it still widely used. As a matter of fact, it's safe, in your mouth, but when removed it must be contained in special red containers for toxic waste. Where is the logic?