Life Extension Forums dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution
Announcement Attention: Important Forum Announcement

The Life Extension Foundation Forums > LEF Public Forums > Disorders/Diseases > Low Uric Acid Levels  Missing Key Value : en-US, 425

Missing Key Value : en-US, 225 You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

TerriM
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableMissing Key Value : en-US, 558ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 8

Posted 2/23/2001 9:26 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tom,

Does a low Uric Acid level have any significance? I have a value of 2.1 mg/dl (reference range is 2.5-8.8). My PM doc says that it is probably due to heavy metals (i.e. mercury). I have yet to find a study relating low uric acid levels to heavy metals? If this is true, what is the chemistry here?

::Uric acid is a major serum antioxidant especially for those animals (including humans) which cannot make their own ascorbic acid. As such high uric acid levels are one oft-used predictor of longevity.
I also do not find any association with heavy metals, except in the other direction. In molybdenum toxicity, uric acid is raised. Perhaps you are not eating enough meat. Organ meat and sardines in particular (containing purines) should help raise values. Taking a RNA/DNA supplement may also help.::

I have found alot of studies on the role of uric acid in protection against peroxynitrite-mediated pathology (example: Med Hypotheses 2001 Jan;56(1):95-100), so it looks like its important to have an adequate amount of uric acid available in order to scavenage peroxynitrite.

Thanks,
Terri

scarlettrunner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableMissing Key Value : en-US, 558ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 4

Posted 4/7/2001 3:07 AM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am 58 years old and I had low serum uric acid levels (1.6mg/dL - range 2.6-7.6mg/dL) for about ten years in the mid 80-mid 90s. In 1996 and 97 my value was 2.7. Most insurance companies stopped payng for routine chem 12 panels in 1998 so I havent had my uric acid tested since then. My physician said there was nothing to worry about. I became a semi- vegetarian (I eat seafood but no meat or poultry) on a low protein high complex carbohydrate diet about a year before my uric acid levels became low so I assumed that might have something to do with it. However, I did not change my diet when the level became normal again.

::I am confused about the sequence of data that you have stated above. Did you not change anything just prior to 1996-7 when your uric acid suddenly rose to 2.7? Uric acid is the end products of nucleotide degradation. Since nucleotides are often associated with animal or fish proteins, low uric acid is generally a marker for a low animal origin protein diet. Uric acid is important because of its antioxidant role which, in those animals which do not produce their own vitamin C (such as humans), is thought to somewhat replace that of serum vitamin C.::

After reading Terris post, I did a little searching on this subject and I found something that makes a lot of sense to me:

Some alternative practitioners have noted an association between low serum uric acid and hypersensitivity problems. This may include increased sensitivities to foods, weather changes, chemicals, pollens, caffeine, light, noise, and hormonal and emotional changes. The low uric acid indicates a general mineral deficiency state.
http://www.allhealth.com/alternatives/qa/0,4801,2025_2568-2,00.html

::Unfortunately, like so many statements which are found on these sorts of alternative medicine sites, there seems to be little evidence for this relationship of low uric acid with a general mineral deficiency. In fact for diabetics, the following study showed the uric acid levels were reduced when a multimineral pill was supplied, although the overall effect was antioxidant.:

Cas Lek Cesk 1995 Feb 1;134(3):80-3
Administration of multivitamin combinations and trace elements in diabetes.
(Article in Czech)
Holecek V, Racek J, Jerabek Z.
Oddeleni klinicke biochemie FN, Plzen.

BACKGROUND. Many free radicals are formed in diabetes mellitus due to the oxidative stress in hyperglykemia. The objective of the investigation was to evaluate the influence of an antioxidant mixture and trace elements on some biochemical parameters in controls and diabetic patients.
METHODS AND RESULTS. 13 controls (6 men and 7 women, the average age was 53 years) and 9 diabetic patients (4 men and 5 women, the average age was 52 years) were supplemented with multivitamin mixture and trace elements with respect to antioxidant activities. Both groups received the same amount of the mixture, controls 50 days, diabetic patients 35 days. Blood samples were measured before and after the treatment. Renal, liver tests and acid-base balance were not influenced. Apolipoprotein A increased significantly (p < 0.05). Glycosylated hemoglobin in the diabetic group decreased significantly from 9.4 /- 1.6 to 7.2 /- 1.5 mumol fructose/g of hemoglobin (p < 0.01). In the diabetic group increased the levels of ionorganic phosphorus from 0.99 /- 0.08 to 1.15 /- 0.13 mmol/L (p < 0.01), zinc from 10.4 /- 1.3 to 14.3 /- 1.7 mumol/L (p < 0.01), copper from 20.3 /- 2.3 to 25.9 /- 6.3 mumol/L (p < 0.05) and selenium in blood from 0.96 /- 0.21 to 1.65 /- 0.38 mumol/L (p < 0.001). Selenium in blood of the control group increased from 0.88 /- 0.26 to 1.66 /- 0.34 mumol/L (p < 0.001). The activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD) in diabetic group increased from 598 /- 105 to 696 /- 103 U/g of hemoglobin (p < 0.01), the activity of glutathion peroxidase (GSHPx) did not change, malondialdehyde (MDA) decreased from 7.1 /- 1.1 to 5.8 /- 1.1 mumol/L (p < 0.01) and uric acid decreased from 261 /- 83 to 236 /- 96 mumol/L (p < 0.01).
CONCLUSIONS. Multivitamin mixture with trace elements significantly protects diabetic patients and the control group against injurous actions of free radicals. That is confirmed by the decrease of plasmatic malondialdehyde and uric acid and by the increase of superoxide dismutase in erythrocytes. The decrease of glycosylated hemoglobin reduces the probability of diabetic complications, the increase of plasmatic Zn and Se in the diabetic group increased the plasmatic antioxidant ability.
PMID: 7712531::

I am a highly sensitive person with a long history of many allergies from infancy and I also have a long list of drug allergies. However, I find it hard to believe that during that 10 years my level was low that I had a general mineral deficiency as I was taking LEF mix during that time. Perhaps I wasnt absorbing it properly due to food sensitivities.

Missing Key Value : en-US, 225 You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:14 PM (GMT -4)
There are a total of 38,084 posts in 7,744 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 9706 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, LivingLongHopefully.
1 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details