Life Extension Forums dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution
Announcement Attention: Important Forum Announcement

The Life Extension Foundation Forums > LEF Public Forums > Disorders/Diseases > Can I get off Dialysis-Fix the Kidneys?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

OhioDave
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 1

Posted 7/9/2008 2:14 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello, I just recently started on kidney dialysis. I do NOT want to stay on dialysis the rest of my life. What i have researched so far seems counterproductive to natural healing and alternative medicine. The diet says no herbs, vitamins or mineral, that could worsen the condition. I have seen many people cured with natural medicine over the years, and feel like I am in a corner, er, a very expensive corner at that!

Are their any books, organizations, groups, that maybe can help me get off dialysis that you may know about? My brother, a physician said the key word here is 'glomerulosclerosis', part of the kidney that 'dies' and can't be rejuvenated. Some natural health people said it could be restored, he says they are crazy. The kidney doctor also doesn't want me taking any herbal, natural products. Thank you if you can help me with this very important information. I would also be interested in
any financial aid information to pay for the dialysis/treatments.
Thank you again!

Dave

DDye
Forum Moderator

Click to send DDye email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2002
Total Posts : 422

Posted 7/9/2008 2:16 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The only way to get off dialysis to my knowledge is a kidney transplant.  Maybe stem cells will be useful some day to help regenerate the kidney. 

oscarguy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 568

Posted 8/26/2008 1:41 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You may want to try cranberry juice, I think it is at least not going to harm you. Why not ask your brother who is a physician about that? Cranberry juice is helpful for people with urinary tract infections for one thing. It is said to be be a safe way to cleanse the kidneys. There is a lot of information available on the web about this. I have no idea at all if it would be helpful to you or not. It might be worth a try. ... Oscar

zorba990
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 710

Posted 8/26/2008 3:29 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OhioDave said...
Hello, I just recently started on kidney dialysis. I do NOT want to stay on dialysis the rest of my life. What i have researched so far seems counterproductive to natural healing and alternative medicine. The diet says no herbs, vitamins or mineral, that could worsen the condition. I have seen many people cured with natural medicine over the years, and feel like I am in a corner, er, a very expensive corner at that!

Are their any books, organizations, groups, that maybe can help me get off dialysis that you may know about? My brother, a physician said the key word here is 'glomerulosclerosis', part of the kidney that 'dies' and can't be rejuvenated. Some natural health people said it could be restored, he says they are crazy. The kidney doctor also doesn't want me taking any herbal, natural products. Thank you if you can help me with this very important information. I would also be interested in
any financial aid information to pay for the dialysis/treatments.
Thank you again!

Dave

You haven't mentioned what caused the renal damage in the first place.
Diabetes? Hypertension? Infection? Mystery?

island808
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 43

Posted 9/1/2008 8:05 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You might want to do a Google search for a guy named "Alan Shoemaker". He lives in Peru and ships Amazon medicinal plants worldwide. Email him about your problem, see what he has to say.

jsgosa
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 6

Posted 3/2/2009 3:02 PM (GMT -4)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OhioDave,

Here's some info I found on the Life Extension website. Has anyone used Coenzyme Q10 for their kidneys? My kidneys were damaged as a teenager and I'm always looking for ways to improve their functioning.

LE Magazine August 2004

"CoQ10 and Kidney Failure
In the Journal of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine, CoQ10 research pioneers Drs. Ram Singh and Adarsh Kumar reported the results of a very well-designed trial indicating CoQ10 might have a powerful role as adjunctive therapy in patients with end-stage kidney disease—in some cases even reducing or averting the need for dialysis.1

In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, the researchers found CoQ10 treatment decreased progression and reversed renal dysfunction in a majority of patients with end-stage disease, many of whom were able to discontinue dialysis over the course of the 12-week trial. The report followed up on a pilot study the scientists published in 2000 involving a smaller number of subjects.

End-stage kidney disease produces marked organ contraction and progressive dysfunction, with corresponding increases in levels of serum creatinine and blood urea nitrogen. Levels of toxic waste products accumulate in the blood because the kidneys cannot clear them from the body.

A patient undergoing hemodialysis.
Dr. Singh and his colleagues documented significantly lower levels of serum creatinine and blood urea nitrogen in the CoQ10-treated patients, with increases in creatinine clearance and urine output regardless of patient dialysis or baseline status. More significantly, only half the number of CoQ10 patients required dialysis at the end of the study when compared to subjects receiving placebo.

The researchers also reported considerable increases in the antioxidant vitamins E and C and beta-carotene in treated subjects, while plasma levels of oxidative stress such as thiobarbituric acid reactive substances, diene conjugates, and malondialdehyde all fell dramatically.

Although one in five patients did not respond, the researchers concluded that CoQ10 supplementation improves renal function in end-stage patients regardless of dialysis status, and can delay or avert the need for dialysis. They suggested that higher doses than those used in their study (180 mg per day) might result in even greater improvement and response in others."