Life Extension Forums dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution
Announcement Attention: Important Forum Announcement

The Life Extension Foundation Forums > LEF Public Forums > Miscellaneous Topics > Telomere length and Longevity  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

BillKS
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 25

Posted 9/30/2007 10:39 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi there,

The chromosomal structures known as 'telomeres', in association with the enzyme 'telomerase' are discussed frequently in reference to both longevity and cancer. It seems that the reduction of their length during the life cycle of a cell results eventually in damage to DNA and the genes of which they are a part.

For more on telomere length and it's association with aging, see the below article:

http://whyweage.com/node/11

Take care!

Mark

Pretty Flower
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 597

Posted 10/2/2007 10:54 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Are there any substances I can use to increase my telomere length?

MM
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 127

Posted 10/2/2007 3:08 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Go to www.tasciences.com. I don't know if it works, but this is the only thing I've heard of.

Pretty Flower
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007

Posted 10/7/2007 10:40 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"here are the use patents for Astragalus and telomerase:
http://tinyurl.com/2yypov
http://tinyurl.com/3db889

Telomerase induction tested originally using a 10:1  95% ethanolic
extract of Astralagus root (this extract was called GRN925)

The most potent compound in the extract seems to be astragaloside IV
or cycloastragenol, one of which which may be the GRN-665 (TA-65)
TAT0002 molecule.

Glad to read of this property of Astragalus root, especially since it
is so inexpensive, extracts are available up to 5% astragalosides.
Given the patents' proof testing of the rough extract, I see no point
in further extraction of the most active molecule - similar situation
to using a 50% resveratrol from a knotweed extract rather than trying
to purify or synthesize the active resveratrol molecule, saves a lot
of effort and cash.
JLC "

Pretty Flower
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007

Posted 10/7/2007 10:40 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Some more info.: http://groups.google.com/group/sci.life-extension/browse_thread/thread/0ef910ede1a8acf0/0b8a90ab97bbf237

And please read this because it makes me speculate that the original molecule from the herb works just fine and is plentiful, but these companies do some slight alteration to it, turning it into slightly synthetic so-called TA-65 so that it can be patentable.  if this is true, one can just buy a cheap herbal extract standardized to a high level of the active natural ingredient: http://www.disease-treatment.com/showthread.php?p=626478

Pretty Flower
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007

Posted 10/7/2007 10:42 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So how about some of us start using astragalus extract with a high standardization of the active ingredients, and then go measure our telomere lengths to see if it works just as well, or better, than the TA-65 stuff? I am too poor myself to currently add on this new extract and then have scientists go measure my telomere lengths, it probably costs lots of money for the tests.

Pretty Flower
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007

Posted 10/7/2007 10:43 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Trial results shows TA-65 leads to improved skin condition among older people

New York — Telomerase Activation Sciences Inc., based here, has announced the results of its Pivotal 2005 Anti-Aging Trial of TA-65, the first human trial to show measurable and positive anti-aging benefits — including improvement in skin condition — from a Telomerase activator, PRNewswire reports.

[ . . . ]

Pretty Flower
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007

Posted 10/7/2007 10:43 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
HDTIC-1 and HDTIC-2 extracts from Astragalus has cell proliferation properties: http://groups.google.com/group/sci.life-extension/msg/695d54e15d02ea22

Pretty Flower
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007

HDTIC-1 and HDTIC-2, two compounds extracted from Astragali Radix, delay replicative senescence of human diploid fibroblasts.

BillKS
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 25

Posted 10/9/2007 11:24 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not so sure about that particular compound. Telomere research relating to longevity is still quite a young area so more research I think is probably needed before we start taking supplements that are designed to reduce senescence by modifying telomere length.

Jim Green
Registered Member

Click to send Jim Green email.Click to visit Jim Green's website.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 23

Posted 10/16/2007 11:56 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Astragalus extract contains small molecule telomerase activators including astragaloside IV. Another popularly available source of small molecule telomerase activators is Korean Ginseng extract, which contains telomerase activator ginsenoside RH1. I believe that astragalus extract astragalosides are the most effective telomere-lengthening compounds presently available at your health food store. Geron published its research on small molecule telomerase activators in 2005 in Compositions and Methods for Increasing Telomerase Activity, which was published as a European patent. I get the impression that 5 mg/day of astragalosides from astragaloside extract, such as the astragaloside-specific GAIA Astragalus Extracts, is effective at extending telomeres, although a program of rejuvenation using astragalus might go on for years for the desired level of youthfulness is finally achieved. Half of the month I avoid telomerase inhibitors such as melatonin, green tea, resveratrol, and vitamin E, taking astragalosides the first 2 weeks of the month a 5 mg/day of astragalosides. Then the 2nd half of the month I go off astragaloside telomerase activators and take those telomerase inhibitors. It seems to be working. I believe I have fewer grey hairs after 6 months of this program, although this is hard for me to quantify at this time. The dosage level is about what the manufacturer recommends for strengthening the immune system. For more details on popularly available small molecule telomerase activators and inhibitors, plus more patent reference information and references, see my column on Longevity, Anti-Aging Medicine, and Life Extension in Review.

Pretty Flower
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007

Posted 10/16/2007 7:40 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
http://greenwdks.tripod.com/longevity.html  Thank you for taking the time to create this site to share info. with the public. If I may make a humble suggestion: as one who has professionally studied web design, I would suggest removing the fixed background image that the text scrolls over, which makes the text hard to read, plus, it would be considered "tacky" among profesisonal web designers.

Regarding ginseng, I already take this, so I suppose I've already been adding telomeric chains to my DNA.

oscarguy
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 568

Posted 10/26/2007 4:49 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dear P-A, Thank you for this helpful information. You have provided many helpful links. I plan to purchase and try out some of them because I believe this may be the most hopeful area of reseach as to slowing, stopping, and reversing the aging process.  Your dedication to this forum is very much appreciated by me. Take Care,  ...Oscar

Pretty Flower
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007

Posted 10/28/2007 4:46 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
oscarguy said...
Dear P-A, Thank you for this helpful information. You have provided many helpful links. I plan to purchase and try out some of them because I believe this may be the most hopeful area of reseach as to slowing, stopping, and reversing the aging process.  Your dedication to this forum is very much appreciated by me. Take Care,  ...Oscar

I'm just talking out of my behind :p .  I'd be happy to shut up if the professional scientists want to take over and give better data and analysis.

Pretty Flower
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007

Posted 11/12/2007 10:40 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was shopping around, and I found non-standardized Astragalus extracts, but none standardized to the active telomere-boosting ingredients.  The Vitamin Shoppe has a general astragalus extract, but no key ingredients.  Even LEF just has a general pill.  I guess I will not be able to get my telomeres to grow.

Pretty Flower
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007

Posted 11/12/2007 10:40 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was wrong.  Here are some standardized astragalus:

Anyone know which of these ingredients is the telomere-activating one?

Hormoneman
Respected Member

Click to send Hormoneman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 2671

Posted 9/15/2008 2:38 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Take a look at this one

http://www.myrevgenetics.com/Astral-Fruit-Astrgaloside-IV-33mg-Capsules-p/astralfruit-30.htm

Looks to be just what we need.

Nic715
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008
Total Posts : 2

Posted 10/1/2008 12:37 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Al Sears, MD has written a few very interesting articles on the topic...

Here's a link to one of the aritcles:

According to his newsletter, he has started this therapy himself and has teamed up with TA Sciences to become the first (and right now) only MD in the world licensed to offer TA-65 therapy.

He is also holding a seminar on TA65 on Sunday, October 26th at his clinic in Royal Palm Beach, FL...

I copied this from one of his newsletters....
I’m giving a seminar to explain the whole story. The daylong event will be here at my clinic in South Florida on Sunday, October 26th.

But you’ll get more than just the story on TA-65… By the end of the day you’ll know how to lengthen your lifespan by up to 20%. The formula is easy, inexpensive and proven effective.

Right now I am the only licensee in the world to offer TA-65 therapy. This cutting-edge technology let’s you reset your genetic clock by lengthening your telomeres.

Telomeres are part of your DNA and in every cell in your body. Each time your cells divide, your telomeres get shorter. You can think of them as a kind of countdown clock. And when your telomeres run down, cell division stops and your life ends.

For the first time ever, we have the ability to make your telomeres longer. That means your cells get younger as time goes by. Simply said, TA-65 turns back the hands of time.

During the seminar I’ll tell you about the technology that makes it possible. I’ll also show you how we measure your current biological age. ...
Sounds like it could be interesting...

albedo
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 1049

Posted 12/15/2008 7:14 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sorry this might be naive as I am absolutely no expert: which degree of confidence we have the TA65 will not let unwanted cells to proliferate be them benign (e.g. in prostate BPH?) or malign as in cancer? Actually Geron, the leading company which licensed TA65 to TA Science, is known to develop anticancer drugs working by deactivating the telomerase enzyme. So I am confident TA65 might work but which are the risks vs benefits?

JonnyOnTheSpot
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 3

Posted 2/13/2009 9:36 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jim, your link is dead smhair ... You can try to create a simple website using wetpaint.com